Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Look whos blogging at work now...

Yep thats right I'm bored at work. I've been here since 10:15 and it took me like 15 minutes to read through the lesson plans. I am subbing in Learning disabled for a teacher I've subbed for like 5 times this year so its pretty simple. My kids don't show up until 11:30. So yeah... I found a cool thing on a teacher's desk awhile ago and copied it all down by hand and just typed it all up. So here it is: (it's long but totally worth reading)

LOVE By Grace Robbins
(A Christian Teacher’s Paraphrase of 1 Corinthians 13)

If I teach with the skill of the finest teacher
And I’m dedicated to the education of the young,
But fail to love my students,
I become only a clever speaker and charming entertainer.

If I use various teaching techniques and methods
And if I am well-trained so that I feel like I’m a good teacher
But fail to love my students just as they are,
My efforts are not enough.

If I spend long hours preparing lessons
And if I plan interesting activities for my classes
And then fail to allow God’s love to flow through me
My personal efforts are still not enough.

The love of a teacher for her students is a very special kind of love
It is patient even when students are doing their best to create problems
It shows kindness in a way that makes a new student feel welcome in a new school
It is not selfish, though it may seem that way when the teacher requires certain things of her class.

It is not easily discouraged, even though some days seem to be full of problems.
It is not amazed when a pupil comes to discuss a confidential situation that is too personal to share with just anyone who might happen to be around.
This kind of love does not boast about its accomplishments
But is a living example of what Jesus Christ would have each of us to be daily.

This special God-given love never fails.
Books and study guides will become obsolete
Teaching techniques and methods will be out dated
Classroom schedules and school policies will be abandoned.
Because all these things have been established by man, rather than God
However, when the teacher share’s God’s love with her pupils, the influence will live forever and ever because God is love.

When I was a student, I was immature and I behaved like a child. I was a child. But now I am an adult and God has spoken to me about helping children discover his wonderful love. I have faith, and I have hope and I have love. These three are God’s gift to me…and the greatest of these is LOVE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is a really cool poem heather- I just discovered your blog again! WAHOO!!!