Tuesday, December 02, 2008

First Grade

Here's a funny story from subbing 1st grade yesterday:

It was right after lunch and we were all sitting on the carpet (well I was on the rocking chair). We had started reading a Magic Tree House book, so most of the kids were pretty interested because they hadn't heard it before. There were a couple boys whispering on and off in the back and I was doing my best to ignore them because they weren't bothering anyone else. All of a sudden...pphhhhttt. The world's largest fart out of a 1st grade butt vibrated on the carpet coming from one of the two boys. Obviously, everyone turns around and starts cracking up. I smile and say "use your manners please" the boy says excuse me and I continue reading and have most of the kids' attention. At this point I'm pretty proud of myself for not laughing myself, I kept my teacher cool. A couple minutes later the boys were giggling again so I sent one of them back to their desk and on his way...pphhhhttt! The boy on the carpet farted another really loud one. "excuse me" he says. How is it possible that came from that little boy? I'm thinking maybe he needs to go change his pants. The laughter has returned the girls near him, "ewww gross it smells!" So now I explain to the class that they need to learn to ignore things like this and not make a big deal out of it because everyone does it. And I continue on reading, without smiling at all this time. I didn't think about it again until I was telling Eric and the married couple we were hanging with last night, then I thought it was hilarious and started cracking up. Oh the little joys of teaching....

And you're probably wondering how that story came up in conversation, probably when Kathy told her 2 year old boy to pull up his pants because they were half way down his diaper, instead of pulling them up he yanks them completely off. I was that little boy's entertainment for about an hour and a half; he had to show me every room (including the bathroom) and show me every single toy and book he owned. Every time I sat down by Eric and Collin was still in his room I would here "Hedder! Hedder! I'm calling you, Hedder!" Cutest thing. One of the first things he said to me when we got there was "purse?" he has discovered that I have Tic Tacs in my purse so he makes a trip to my purse and helps him self frequently at church. He also found great entertainment in putting his socks on his hands, apprently he does this a lot. Oh and he is probably gonna grow up to be a worship leader because he was running around using the end of a jump rope as a microphone singing "Dancing Generation" he even knew most of the words! He always wants to be up on the stage tapping his foot to the music when we're practicing at church.

Oh the little things that God puts in front of us to keep us smiling...

1 comment:

Brianna said...

I love your story, that is so funny, I dunno how you didn't laugh, you're so very professional. Sometimes when I have to turn a patient on his/her side, they fart, and we have to hold in our laughter, or if they say sorry, we say, no, this is the one place you don't have to be sorry, we're glad your intestines are working!!! Also, that little boy sounds super cute, I like that he sings dancing generation, heehee.