First off...I love this weather!! Its absolutely perfecto! Second...sorry for the lack of updates. I was computerless for like a month and now im just tired and lazy after work. So I'll attempt to update you on things I feel are worthy of sharing.
I love my new, but temporary, job. I worked at the middle school summer school for the first few weeks then went to boys and girls club in the afternoons. I'm glad a had an opportunity to work with middle schoolers finally after 5 years of college, they were a challenge at times with their attitudes and aggressive behaviors. There were about 25 students total and only 2 girls. I helped the 3 teachers with their different classes which included walking from the school to a random pond behind walmart south to catch insects; it was actually fun and they had a great time prancing through the long grass after the dragonflies and butterflies. Haha just picture middle school boys doing that, its gotta bring at least a small smile to your face. I also spent a full day (9-5) with them at Whitewater where we did some team building activities, played other games, did some fishing and ate food. The day went great with very little behavior problems until we were like 5 minutes away from the school someone decided to shake their pop can and spray pop all over the bus, lovely. The week of the fourth I was at Boys and Girls club for two 8 hour days and had the rest of the week off, a great break!
I am now working at Gage in the mornings with the 1st graders in summer school. They are so cute and fun I love being in a classroom and feeling like I have a purpose; which wasnt really the case at the middle school. I have been helping the teacher I was assigned to work with with the activities. This week we were working on sight words, pretty much the words they should have learned in Kindergarten. Its amazing to see the difference in abilities throughout the group. There are about 40 1st graders that I see everyday because we rotate throughout all the 1st grade teachers. Its always hard going from this organized school to the boys and girls club where its chaos. There are fights there daily, and I have broken up a couple of them; standing between two kids swinging at each other. I have attempted to solve many of the arguments between the kids, try to cheer up the kids with tears running down their faces and trying to keep order to the madness. I am in the art center working with a lady who used to be a nurse, she had to retire from nursing because she hurt her wrist really bad catching someone when they were falling. She cant lift more than 2 lbs with that wrist. I love being in her room because she is great with the kids and the kids are always busy making things, dancing or working a play. Becky who is the same age as me also is in that room with me so that makes it fun as well.
Wedding planning is going slowly, I've been looking for photographers, figuring out what to put on registeries and where, we've figured out who will be the main officiant for the wedding and where the wedding will be for sure, its looking like a 1:00 wedding perhaps leaving on a honeymoon to Key Largo on the 17th through the 20th. Any advice is welcome from all you married folk!
My brother is at Sonshine this week and Eric and I will be going to church camp in Cottage grove for the last day tomorrow night, we were there last night as well for a great time of worship. Ummm...i think thats all i can think of for now so I hope you enjoyed the update. Hope to see or at least hear from you all soon!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless!
3 comments:
Yay...Heather updated. Sounds like you've been busy with the kiddo's. I think you should pick those middle schoolers up by their ears and shake them. haa haa
Oh fun, you're going to Florida? I didn't know that! Cooollll
I didn't know you are going to florida either! That's awesome! And I'm glad the wedding stuff is going well so far:)
I think it's awesome that you break up fights. I just imagine big bad mean teenagers punching each other out, and then along comes serene Heather telling them to stop or they might get hurt- hahaha- cute, but good for you! You will be an amazing teacher!
Post a Comment